I am an adjunct professor of computer science at Baylor University where I teach Data Structures in C++. I was awarded a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship from CONACYT to do research in large-scale machine learning with applications in image analysis. On this webpage you can find almost the same information you could find in my CV.
I am interested in machine learning and large-scale data mining in big data analytics, large-scale multidimensional multispectral signal analysis, statistical pattern recognition methods, image restoration, image analysis,
intelligent software systems, and health-care imaging.
Other areas that have my attention include applied mathematics, numerical optimization, swarm intelligence optimization, evolutionary algorithms, soft computing, fuzzy logic, neural networks, and neurofuzzy systems.
Data Structures and Algorithms - CSI 3334
Software design and construction with abstract data types. Description, performance and use of commonly-used algorithms and data structures including lists, trees, and graphs.
[ Spring 2015
| Fall 2014
| Spring 2014
| Fall 2013 ]
Electric Circuits Lab - EE 2151
Basic and advanced electronic equipment for the design of electric circuits. Construction of the following circuits: Series/Parallel, Voltage/Current Divider, Mesh-Current Node-Voltage, First-Order RC, First-Order RL, Second-Order RLC, and Sinusoidal Steady-State Analysis.
[ Summer 2011
| Spring 2011
| Fall 2010
| Spring 2010
| Fall 2009
| Spring 2009
| Fall 2008 ]
Digital Signal Processing
Discrete-time signals and systems, sampling theory, z-transforms, spectral analysis, filter design, applications, and analysis and design of discrete signal processing systems.
[ Fall 2006 ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Erich Baker, Greg Hamerly, and Bryan Shaw, "Detection of Leukocoria using a Soft Fusion of Expert Classifiers under Non-clinical Settings", vol. 14, no. 110, in BMC Ophthalmology. 9/2014. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Statistical and Neural Pattern Recognition Methods for Dust Aerosol Detection," in International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 34, no. 21, 4/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Ernesto Sifuentes, "A distributed localization algorithm for wireless sensor networks based on the solutions of spatially-constrained local problems", in Sensors Journal, IEEE, vol. 13, no. 6, 4/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, David Garcia Chaparro, Abel Quezada Carreon, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Forecasting The Demand of Short-Term Electric Power Load with Large-Scale LP-SVR", in Smart Grid and Renewable Energy, vol. 4, 2, 4/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "An algorithm for training a large scale support vector machine for regression based on linear programming and decomposition methods", in Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 439-451, 3/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "A nonlinear least squares quasi-Newton strategy for LP-SVR hyper-parameters selection", in International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 5, no. 4, 2/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, J. A. Perez Venzor, David Garcia Chaparro, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "LP-SVR Model Selection Using an Inexact Globalized Quasi-Newton Strategy", in Journal of Intelligent Learning Systems and Applications, vol. 5, pp. 19-28, 2/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, David Garcia Chaparro, J. A. Perez Venzor, Abel Quezada Carreon, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Support Vector Machines for Regression: A Succinct Review of Large-Scale and Linear Programming Formulations", in International Journal of Intelligence Science, vol. 3, pp. 5-14, 1/2013. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, Ernesto Sifuentes, Pablo Rivas-Perea, "A Low-Complexity Geometric Bilateration Method for Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks and Its Comparison with Least-Squares Methods", in Sensors, vol. 12, pp. 839-862, 1/2012 [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario Ignacio Chacon Murguia, Yearim Quezada-Holguin, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Sergio Cabrera, "Dust Storm Detection Using a Neural Network with Uncertainty and Ambiguity Output Analysis", in Pattern Recognition, ed. Jose Francisco Martinez-Trinidad et~al., vol. 6718, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 305-313. 6/2011. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles and Wei Qian, "Subjective Colocalization Analysis with Fuzzy Predicates," in Soft Computing for Intelligent Control and Mobile Robotics, Oscar Castillo, Witold Pedrycz, Janusz Kacprzyk Eds. Computational Intelligence Series of Springer-Verlag. 1/2011. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles, Mario I. Chacon Murguia and James J. Tilton, "Automatic Dust Storm Detection Based on Supervised Classification of Multispectral Data," in Soft Computing for Recognition based on Biometrics, Patricia Melin, Janusz Kacprzyk, Witold Pedrycz Eds. Computational Intelligence Series of Springer-Verlag. 9/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- M. I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Fusion of Fuzzy FFL-KLT and PCNN Features on the Face Recognition Problem," in Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete & Impulsive Systems Journal, Series A: Mathematical Analysis, a Special Issue on Advances in Neural Networks-Theory and Applications, 8/2007. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, and Graciela Ramirez A., "A Fuzzy Clustering Approach for Face Recognition Based on Face Feature Lines and Eigenvectors," in Engineering Letters Journal, 8/2007. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario I. Chacon M., Alejandro Zimmerman S., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Image Processing Applications with a PCNN," in Advances in Neural Networks, Springer LNCS, pp 884-893. 6/2007. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Face Recognition Based on Human Visual Perception Theories and Unsupervised ANN," Book: "State of The Art in Face Recognition." Publisher: IN-TECH, 436 pages. 2009. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Ryan Henning, Bryan Shaw, and Greg Hamerly, "Finding the Smallest Circle Containing the Iris in the Denoised Wavelet Domain", Proceedings of the Image Analysis and Interpretation (SSIAI), 2014 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp. 13-16, 4/2014. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Ryan Henning, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Bryan Shaw, and Greg Hamerly, "A Convolutional Neural Network Approach for Classifying Leukocoria" Proceedings of the Image Analysis and Interpretation (SSIAI), 2014 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp. 9-12. 4/2014. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario Ignacio Chacon Murguia, Yearim Quezada-Holguin, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Sergio Cabrera, "Dust Storm Detection Using a Neural Network with Uncertainty and Ambiguity Output Analysis" Proceedings of MCPR 2011, pp 305-313. 5/2011.
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, "Short Term Electric Power Consumption Forecasting using Linear Programming Support Vector Regression," 1st Southwest Energy Science and Engineering Symposium. 4/2011. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, "Large-Scale Sonar Target Detection with L_1-Norm SV Regression based on Unfeasible Interior Point Methods," Proceedings of the 2011 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference. 1/2011. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Omar Velarde Anaya, Juan De Dios Cota Ruiz, "Performance Evaluation of Classic and Accurate SVD Computation in a Multispectral Image Segmentation Problem," 2010 IEEE CIINDET, 11/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea; Rosiles, J. G.; Chacon, M. I.; "Traditional and Neural Probabilistic Multispectral Image Processing for The Dust Aerosol Detection Problem," Image Analysis & Interpretation (SSIAI), 2010 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp.169-172, 5/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea and J. G. Rosiles, "A Probabilistic Model for Stratospheric Soil-Independent Dust Aerosol Detection," in Digital Image Processing and Analysis, Optical Society of America, paper DMD4. 5/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles, Mario I. Chacon, M. "A Classic and Neural Probabilistic Approach to Remote Sensing: The Dust Storm Detection Problem," Proceedings of the International Seminar on Computational Intelligence, 1/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. I. Chacon M., and J. G. Rosiles, "A Classic
and Neural Probabilistic Approach to the Dust Storm Detection Problem," Proceedings of the 2010 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference, 1/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, J. C. Tilton, and J. G. Rosiles, "Dust Storm Detection Through Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer: A Machine Learning Problem," Proceedings of the 2010 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference, 1/2010. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, and Wei Qian, "Fuzzy Predicates from Linguistic Variables for Subjective Quantitative Colocalization Analysis," Proc. 10th U.S. National Congress for Computational Mechanics, 7/2009. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Omar Velarde Anaya, Leonardo Valencia Olvera, Luis Humberto Uribe Chavira, Mario I. Chacon M., Gerardo Rosiles, "Mobile Robot for Face Recognition: A Collaborative Environment," Proc. 2009 High Performance Computing & Simulation Conference, IEEE/ACM/IFIP, 6/2009. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, and Wei Qian, "Self Organizing Maps for Class Discovery in the Quantitative Colocalization Analysis Feature Space," Proc. 2009 IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 6/2009. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, J.G. Rosiles, W. Qian, "Image Restoration for Quantitative Colocalization: Performance Analysis and Response of Colocalization Coefficients," Proc. 3rd Annual Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) Paul L. Foster School of Medicine Research Colloquium, 5/2009.
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, J.G. Rosiles, W. Qian, "Automatic Quantitative
Colocalization Analysis: An Image Restoration and Machine Learning Approach," Proc. 2009 UTEP SACNAS Research Expo, 4/2009.
- M. I. Chacon M., and Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Performance Analysis of the Feedforward and SOM Neural Networks in the Face Recognition Problem," Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Image and Signal Processing (CIISP 2007). pp. 313-318. Honolulu, Hawaii. 7/2007. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, and Graciela Ramirez A. "A Fuzzy Logic Clustering Approach For Face Recognition Based on Face Feature Lines and Eigenvectors," IEEE International Seminar on Computational Intelligence ISCI 2006. 10/2006. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. I. Chacon Murguia, "Face Recognition Using Hough-KLT and a Feed-Forward Backpropagation Neural Network," Proc. XXVIII International Congress on Electronics Engineering, 10/2006. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, Mario I. Chacon, "Real Time Motion Detection for Fast Human Identification Based on Face Recognition," Proceedings of the XVI Inter-University Congress on Electronics Computation and Electrical - II Congress of Technological Innovation in Electrical and Electronics, pp 172-177,
4/2006. [ bib | .pdf ]
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. Chacon, "Evaluation of Motion Detection Methods for Person Identification based on Face Recognition," Proc. XXVII International Congress on Electronics Engineering, 10/2005.
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, "In Motion Face Recognition Through Multilayer Perceptrons," IEEE/ANaCC/cenidet Proc. of the 11th International Congress on Computer Science Research. 11/2004.
- Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Slimmer, a Security Mobile Agent for User Authentication on 802.11 WLAN Environments," IEEE/ANaCC/cenidet Proc. of the 10th International Congress on Computer Science Research, 10/2003.
Projects where I am the principal investigator (Total: $120,837.20)
- Multispectral signature detection with large-scale machine learning methods, Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tenologia (CONACYT), $15,000, 8/2013
- Accelerating training of a large-scale SVM, CONACYT, $10,000, 8/2013
- Statistical and Neural Pattern Recognition Methods for Dust Aerosol Detection, CONACYT, $18,000, 3/2012
- Forecasting The Demand of Short-Term Electric Power Load with Large-Scale LP-SVR, CONACYT, $6,000, 3/2012
- Numerical optimization strategies for LP-SVR hyper-parameters selection, CONACYT, $2,000, 3/2012
- Decomposition Methods for Linear Programming Support Vector Regression in Large Scale Problems. Source 1: Texas Instruments, TIF-UTEP, $2,800, 8/2010. Source 2: CONACYT-UTEP, $33,992, 8/2008
- Applications of Accurate Singular Value Decomposition vs Traditional SVD, SEP-DGRI, $1,260, 9/2010
- Image Analysis in Multichannel Images: Colocalization Through Fluorescent Microscopy, IEEE (IJCNN travel grant), $500, 6/2009
- Southwestern U.S. and Northwestern Mexico Dust Storm Analysis Through Remote Sensing Imagery, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center - University of Maryland Baltimore County, NASA-GEST-UTEP, $9,600, 5/2009
- Face Recognition Under Non-Cooperative Environments Using Real Time Hough-KLT, ITCH-DGIT, $17,485.20, 9/2006
- Mobile Face Recognition System for Non-Cooperative Environments, IEEE (student enterprise award), $1,500, 1/2007
- Watch-Bot Mobile Surveillance System for Biometric Identification, ITCH-DGIT, $300, 9/2006
- Development and Implementation of Digital Image Processing Algorithms for a Simulation and Code Generation Toolbox, $400, ITCH-DGIT, 5/2005
- Fast Development of Real Time Digital Image Processing Applications, ITCH-DGIT, $400, 10/2005
- In Motion Face Recognition Through Multilayer Perceptrons, ITN-DGIT, $1,100, 5/2004
- Slimmer, a Security Mobile Agent for User Authentication on 802.11 WLAN Environments, ITN-DGIT,
- Syntactic Semantic Prevalidator System for Customs Declaration, ITN-DGIT, $200, 5/2002
Projects where I am not the principal investigator (Total: $131,455.60)
- Dust Storm Detection Using a Neural Networks with Uncertainty and Ambiguity Output Analysis, CONACYT, Chihuahua Institute of Technology, PI: Mario Chacon, $17,485.20, 1/2010.
- Distributed localization algorithms for wireless sensor networks, CONACYT, Autonomous University of Cd. Juarez, PI: Juan Cota-Ruiz, $67,000, 1/2007
- Water Polo Mini-robot, PIs: Omar Velarde and Rafael E., ITCH-IEEE, $17,970.40, 5/2006
- Racing Mini-robot, PI: Omar Velarde, Chihuahua Institute of Technology - IEEE, $17,000, 5/2006
- Automatic Coating Detection System, Chihuahua Institute of Technology - SOFI Essilor, PI: Mario Chacon, $12,000, 1/2006
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2013-Present
- Optical Society of America (OSA), 2010-Present
- HKN (Eta Kappa Nu), the electrical and computer engineering honor society of the IEEE, Life-long Member since 2011
- The Hispanic-American Fuzzy Systems Association, 2006-Present
- The International Association of Engineers (IAENG), 2006-Present
- The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), 2004-Present
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2003-Present
- IEEE Computer Society, 2002-Present
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2001-Present
- Technical Reviewer, MDPI Toxins — Open Access Toxinology Journal, 2015
- Technical Reviewer, Computer and Geosciences Journal, 2014
- Technical Reviewer, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2013, 2014
- Technical Reviewer, IEEE Internatioal Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Technical Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 1/2010
- Technical Reviewer, XVI Inter-University Conference on Electronics Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, 4/2007
- General Chair, 1st Workshop in Engineering Theory and Techniques, 12/2006
- Keynote Speakers Committee, XXVIII International Congress of Electrical Engineering, 10/2006
- Program Development Committee, XXVII International Congress of Electrical Engineering, 10/2005
- Past President of the IEEE Chihuahua Student Branch, 2005-2006
- Inducted to the International Honor Society Eta Kappa Nu (HKN), for those individuals in excellent academic standing and outstanding professional achievement, 4/2011.
- Recipient of the Research Ecellence Award by Texas Tech University. 2009
- NASA Graduate Research Program, Selected for a 10-week internship through the UMBC an Honors University in Maryland. 2009
- IEEE Student Enterprise Award. 2007
- 3rd Place Award in the National Competition on Creativity against all Ph.D. and MS students who were winners from all the science and engineering disciplines from all the country of Mexico. This is one of the highest existing academic competitions for graduate students in the nation of Mexico. 2007
- 1st Place Award in the National Competition on Creativity against undergraduate students winners in the Computer Science area from all across the country of Mexico. This is one of the highest existing academic competitions for undergraduate students in the nation of Mexico. 2004
- Youth Citizen Award, Academic area. This economic award is given in a city-wide public convocation
every 2 years by the mayor's office. It is given to an outstanding young student of the city. 200
Nice to meet you, I am Pablo Rivas. I am a professional member of the ACM and IEEE. My degrees are in computer science (B.S. ’03), electrical engineering (M.S. ’07), and electrical and computer engineering (Ph.D. ’11 from the University of Texas at El Paso). Currently, I am enjoying working as a Postdoc at the Computer Science Department at Baylor University, where I have the privilege of teaching data structures too.
At Baylor I have the opportunity to work in different aspects of machine learning, data science, big data, and large-scale pattern recognition. Perhaps you have heard on NPR about one of our most recent projects on the detection of leukocoria (see leuko.net for more info), where we used deep learning and image-processing techniques, which is fascinating for me. Another recent research project originated after an internship at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center where I worked in the detection of a particular kind of atmospheric particle using different machine learning methods. I currently work to make this remote sensing project available on-line in real time.
In the past I worked as Software Engineer for about 8 years; thus, I am familiar with databases and SQL queries, as well as with programming languages, particularly C++, visual basic, but I like to use MATLAB in order to save time when developing the prototypes of my algorithms.
I am humbled by the recognition I have received for my creativity and academic excellence; for instance, I received the IEEE Student Enterprise Award in 2007, and the Research Excellence Award from the Paul L. Foster Health Sciences School of Medicine of Texas Tech University in 2009. In 2011, I had the honor of being inducted to the International Honor Society Eta Kappa Nu (HKN).
When I am not having fun doing research or teaching, I also like to play basketball, code, eat pizza with friends, or go to the movie theater with my beautify wife Nancy.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to collaborate.
Adjunct Professor of Computer Science @ Baylor University ~ 2013 - to-date
Post-Doctoral Research Scientist @ Baylor University ~ 2012 - to-date
Teaching Assistant @ The University of Texas at El Paso ~ 2008 - 2010
Graduate Research Intern @ NASA Goddard Space Flight Center ~ 2009
Systems Integrator Engineer @ TRW Automotive ~ 2000 - 2008
News and Events